Friday, December 2, 2011

The Big Three

The Big Three is a term in Greek Mythology used to describe the Three Brothers or main power holders in the immortal world. The Big Three are Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades, sons of Cronus and Rhea. When the Three Brothers overthrew Cronus and cast him away, they divided the world into three parts: the sky/Olympus, the oceans, and the Underworld. Zeus chose first and picked the sky and Olympus. He had a hunger for power and felt he would do an excellent job as king of all. Poseidon chose next and picked the oceans. This left Hades with one choice, the Underworld. Ashamed of his domain, he withdrew himself from Olympus and suffered alone in the Underworld.
On Olympus, Zeus chose his sister Hera as his queen. She was faithful to him, as she was the goddess of marriage and pregnant women, but the same could not be said for him. Zeus was a powerful god and everyone wanted him for their own. He was bombarded by women and was very easily persuaded to make love and have children with them.
In the world’s vast oceans, Poseidon ruled over all the creatures, both the very real and the mythological monsters alike. He controlled the tides, the trade winds, and even the course of ships. He was a kind man, creating the horse out of sea foam as a gift to the humans. It was said that on a long journey one must pray to Poseidon for safe passage on the sea.
The Underworld was a dark and gloomy place, and Hades was shameful that he was the king of it. He constantly searched for a partner to come along, but who would want to marry the king of the dark, hell-hold of the Underworld? Hades tricked his wife into marrying him. Persephone, daughter of Demeter, goddess of the harvest, was in the fields with her mother one afternoon. She ate six seeds of a lustrous pomegranate, and those six seeds represent the six months of the year she must stay in the Underworld with Hades. It is a common misconception that Hades is an evil god; this is not true.

28 comments:

  1. This is really cool! I always thought that Hades was evil but now I know he is'nt. I really love your background and font. It kinda reminds me of like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson. I think it is so cool your choosing greek mythology! I am definetly going to use this if I ever have a test on mythology! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Post Is Posted By Cassie.Suggs@stu.crittenden.kyschools.us
      Hades is evil. I don't care even if he is one of the big three. Didn't anyone else notice that Hades....Wait Old Corpse Breath Tried to kill Percy & His Mom & Grover & Aannabeth. That in my opinion is just plain out Pure Evil.

      Delete
    2. this is a good article. I'm using it for a project

      Delete
    3. this is awesome

      Delete
    4. this is really cool i love this i used this for my school and got an A+!

      Delete
  2. thanks monica:) that was my idea haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty interesting! I love Greek mythology (I'm also a Percy Jackson fan) and this is cool. I actually never knew that Hades was ashamed of his domain, I thought he was like the devil, he used to be one of the Big Twelve, but then turned himself evil. I can't wait to read more posts from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that i read this i get the real story behind the mane three gods, Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. i leaned that Hades had a wife let alone was innocent and shameful And find it humorous that the Greeks saw as Zeus a Womanizer. This is a very good article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very cool article. I never knew that Poseidon could alter the course of ships before, and I never knew that he made the horse as a present for humans. Also, I never knew that Hades had to trick his wife into staying with him. I feel very bad for his wife because Hades does not sound like a very nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a very interesting topic and I think it was very interesting to read about and to learn more about the things that people have known about for a while. I think it is interesting to finally get the real story behind the three gods and where their stories come from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this Anne! I always had a fascination in Greek mythology, and it is really cool to read about the famous gods that everyone knows about. I have definitely learned a lot about the Big Three that I never knew! I understand Hades a lot more now because I had thought that he was proud that he ruled the Underworld...I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea for a blog! I have always been interested in mythology and this a good way to learn about it! I have learned alot about the Big Three that I never knew like how Hades did not like being the ruler of the underworld and that he is not evil. i never knew this until I read your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s pretty cool how the Big three rules over all of Greek. I think that if I ever saw one of them I would do whatever they say, because they seem like they can do whatever they want. This was a good article and it taught me a lot about the Big Three.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually love your blog Anne! I always thought that Hades was an evil god, but really it was not his fault he had to pick last. Who said Zeus gets to pick first anyways? I am pretty sure that if Zeus picked last, he would be stuck in the Underworld, and Hades would be happier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really cool article! We're learning about mythology in English right now so it is cool learning even more about it. I did not know about the three brothers and how they were called the Big Three. Very interesting. I also did not know about Zeus' sister being queen. I did not think it was her for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog is really good. It shows the amount of power the Big Three had over the entire world. I’m really impressed by the amount of information this blog provides. I find mythology like this to extremely interesting and you have provided a good source of it. Ii found your blog and articles to be very professional and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not know that Greek mythology could be so interesting! I think Zeus is the most important god. You look like you really know what you are talking about. We are learning about mythology in my English class also and this really helps me! Thank you for a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love mythology, and your blog is quite fascinating! As soon as I read the three brothers, I thought about the Deathly Hallows. I wonder if there's any link between the two? Maybe J.K. Rowling based the tale off of them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey could you tell me the big three's story but the Roman side?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is a great website for learning about the myths and if you already know about them, sometimes it is a good thing to check things over and make sure you learned/remember correctly. The reason I found this site is because I am very interested in the big three and I respect them. Also I figured that I would look more into this because as I was reading "Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Lightning Thief" I found that what he went through at the beginning greatly relates to what I have been through.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great blog. I am reading 'Percy Jackson and the Olympians,the lightning thief' and wanted to know more about the Big Three. After reading this,my curiosity has increased and I would love to know more about Greek Mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is really cool

    ReplyDelete